Tuesday, May 27, 2008

the SINGLE man's most hated question?

"So why aren't you dating anyone?" (and the variations of such). This could be the most despised question I continuously encounter. I probably hear this one at least a few times a week from various people, usually older married friends or acquaintances. Gotta love the older ladies in the church, and I mean gotta. Most are pretty much genuinely concerned. I get the flattering comments of "you're a great catch" and "I can't believe some girl hasn't snagged you up!". They mean well but it's not that I don't think about or consider things. I'm pretty selective and picky when it comes to dating, maybe too much, but it's not a game to me or a means to pass the time.

I'm a minister and for one, the woman must be a solid believer. I need this as a minister, someone who is able to minister along side me and not sit on the sidelines.

As a minister I need a woman who is willing to depart from her parents and family and start a life possibly away from them. I don't know where the Lord will lead me but she needs to be ok with following God wherever He leads, even if it means a great distance from her family.

Those first two usually knock out a large portion of women.

Now comes the picky part,
I am drawn to women who are full of life, laughs and makes me laugh, knows how to have a good time, someone who can lift me up with a smile, who doesn't take themselves too seriously but knows when to be serious, someone who enjoys crowds but can handle solitude, someone who can appreciate sports (preferably play them), someone who can laugh at their own clumsiness, but is put together, someone who can rough it in the woods a little bit but can make a head turn when she enters an art gallery, I like a woman who can talk and carry on a conversation but doesn't have to talk to hear herself, someone who is nurturing and desires to be a mother, someone who is confident in who she is but not overbearing, someone who is quirky and not afraid to admit it, someone who knows what she wants and is ready for a real relationship, someone who I enjoy to be around, someone who is a good friend.

It's a balance that I'm looking for I guess. It's picky but it's what attracts me. I've tried to explain it to close female friends of mine but there is something about a woman that you are attracted to that is a sweet irritation. There are certain quirks that make her unique. Those quirks may be irritating to others but it's something about that the thing she does that sends you up the wall and you love it. It's stupid, I know. And I can't accurately describe it with words, but other guys know what I'm talking about. It's something that might even bug you but you love it cause it's "hers" and that's unique about her, it irritates but it's attractive.

It's waiting on that beautiful woman that compliments me and I to her. It just hasn't happened yet. There have been close ones, but not it. There have been ones that I've looked back and thought I should have pursued her, but I was stupid. And I'll probably think that again later, if she doesn't come for a while.

Well, I notice I'm rambling and it's been long, but that's some of the answer to why I'm not dating anyone or married by now. It's not God's timing and there are a select few who attract me in that way. I could be too picky but I'm only taking one shot at marriage, so I better make it right!

What say you?

3 comments:

Ginny said...

Oh how I can relate! My grandfather told me a few weeks ago that I was going to be an "Old Maid" because "you just can't seem to find anyone you get along with well enough". haha. Bless his heart, he's 86 and just set in his ways and a 27 year old gal like me 'should be married by now'. But, I'm picky too. And we should be! You can't settle for second best...and at least you know what you want, so it'll be easy to see when she comes along! I told my papaw "he'll come along"...you tell those old ladies the same thing :)

Anonymous said...

Adam, You are a wonderful man of God! Do not give up on your pickiness! There is a perfect woman out there for you and I fully believe God will bring her your way in His time! Let me tell you it is AMAZING and will knock you off your feet when she does show up! Dont get to discouraged or think back on ones of the past! I love reading your blog! Hope you are doing well! -Melissa (UWG BSU)

shaebe27 said...

i dont have much to say other than reading that post made me smile, real big!! im actually still smiling..love it!!
oh and she is def out there!